when i was growing up the official start of summer was marked by the opening of dairy queen- you could hear the buzz around town "only 5 more days until dairy queen opens, that means it is almost summer!", the owners would begin the count down until opening day on the marquis for all to see-the line on that first day would be nearly a mile long, everyone looking to get their ice cream fix after a cold & snowy new england winter. ask each person what their favorite first of the season treat is and you are sure to get a different answer from everyone- my dad; peanut buster parfait or a dilly bar, my mom the same, she loves the spanish peanuts that adorn the top of the buster- sometimes she would go with a twist cone, my sister a cone with the red dipped hard candy shell and my choice; almost always a blizzard- snickers, butterfinger or cookie dough!
i had the luxury of having a 4 day weekend this past memorial day- on monday it was a sorcher. i had been saving this recipe since march and decided monday was the day to break it out for a trial run. i never know what justin's reaction will be when i try out new recipes. i think he was just happy 3 of the 9 frozen banana's were finally gone from the freezer. he had been asking me for months what was with all the banana's in the freezer- i need them to make blizzards of course; he was so confused.
it is amazing what frozen banana's or actually any banana can morph its self into- banana bread, frozen banana bites, it can be an egg if it wants to, smoothies, no bake cookies- banana's are great in my book, you should eat more banana's- especially when they are made into a cookie dough blizzard!
i won't tell anyone that you licked your cup clean,
your gonna want to after the very first bite
cookie dough "blizzards"
cookie dough balls
makes 1 cup packed cookie dough
you will need:
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup spelt flour (any flour will more than likely work)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp natural cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp pure maple syrup ( you may need to add a bit more if it is too dry)
- 1/4 chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- in a food processor add the cashews & oats until fine crumbs start to form
- add the salt, sugar & flour. process until just combined
- add the maple syrup & vanilla, process until combined
- add chocolate chips; either stir by hand or whirl in the processor
- form into mini cookie dough balls and store in the freezer
makes 2 servings
- 3 peeled & frozen bananas cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tbsp of almond milk or any non-dairy milk (more if needed)
- 2 tbsp cookie dough (from above recipe)
- in a food processor (a blender or immersion blender would probably work)add your 3 chopped frozen bananas. Process until blended, stopping to scrape down sides
- while processing add milk until desired consistency is reached
- add in cookie dough and process until combined, you should have a soft serve consistency when done
- stir in as many cookie balls as you'd like & enjoy!