happy earth day everyone!
in honor of earth day i thought i'd share how the poire/devincent home celebrates & loves the earth every day of the year...maybe you will read a few things that inspires YOU to be a little greener
- trust me, the earth will love you right back for every small step you take
we reduce by:
- using energy efficient light bulbs & LED Lights
- a Programmable Thermostat and presetting for cooler while we are not home and a tad warmer when we are
- opening blinds & shades during the day to take advantage of the day's warmth, closing the blinds at night to keep the warmth in
- replacing old appliances (when they go) with energy star rated appliances
- turning the water off while washing the dishes
- combining all errands into one trip by making lists & a plan
- buying in bulk & storing in glass reusable containers
- purchasing organic as often as we can and when it makes sense
- supporting our local farms & small businesses that supports locally made products
- joining our local CSA: community supported agriculture
reuse- it's the cool thing to do-
- stashing reusable shopping bags in your car & home & USING them
- my sis always gets me the coolest bags- see example above, hemp bag with reinforced bottom and extra long handles
- using plastic eggshell cartons to start seedlings
- these can be used year after year
- lining garden paths with newspaper and covering with mulch
- great food for the earthworms
- store & freeze left overs in glass containers
- we use cloth napkins- never paper napkins or paper towels for meals & snacks
- old towels or wash clothes for rags- cleaning the bathroom or kitchen counters
- reusable mop microfiber mop pads for hardwood floors or tiles
there are so many great products on the market that take advantage post consumer products by reusing / recycling it back into their own products:
- we recycle everything that is allowed through our city's recycle program
- purchasing environmentally friendly products
- trash bags
- paper towels & tissues Marcal Small Steps is great!
- environmentally friendly cleaning & beauty products:
- mrs meyers clean day (love her!)
- 7th generation
- dr. bronners magical soaps
- burts bees
- toms toothpaste
growing your own veggies helps the earth in so many ways- you give back just as much as it gives you through the process on many different levels from the earthworms, soil, microbes, birds they all appreciate organic & responsible gardens, your wallet will thank you too!
start small, make a few changes and see where it brings you.
every step big or small has an impact - it is up to you wether you want to take that first step
this is simply a way of life for us, we never think twice about reducing our impact on the earth; it just comes naturally.
happy earth day, make it a good day!