sweet,salty, gooey goodness.
these are the perfect words for coco -nutty rocky road bars.
a cookie bar that can be whipped up in a jiff is another great feature of these almost perfect bars.
super duper yummy!
inspired by martha's recipe in everyday food it was easily veganized- a few tweaks here, a few adjustments there and the perfect vegan cookie bar was born- maybe not exactly a cookie bar but more of a cross between a cookie bar, smore' & fudgy candy bar
rice mellow can be found in specialty food shops - i did come across rice mellow in the gluten free section of shaw's supermarket. it is the perfect substitution for marshmallow
using coconut cream in place of condensed milk creates a super fudgy topping, sprinkle a few tablespoons of unsweetened shredded coconut and you have yourself an amazing chocolate coconut experience
fun to eat, a little different treat; rocky road bars are a hit for both the young & young at heart
served at book club last week, dinner with friends on saturday & on easter sunday- they proved to be the perfect sweet ending for any occasion
coco-nutty rocky road bars
Inspired by Martha Stewart Everyday Food
makes 16 bars
you will need:
- 6 sheets of cinnamon sugar or plain graham crackers
- 1 cup sliced almonds; toasted
- 6 dollops rice mellow
- 1- 12oz bag of chocolate chunks (i used bakers chocolate)
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- pinch of coarse sea salt
- preheat oven to 375*
- line a 9x13 or 8x11 baking dish with graham crackers; breaking to fit if needed
- toast graham crackers in oven until fragrant (about 7-10 minutes)
- toast almonds in a dry pan until fragrant; careful not to burn
- pull graham crackers from oven and sprinkle 3/4 cup on top of graham crackers
- dollop rice mellow on top of almonds
- in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat combine chocolate & cream of coconut. melt over heat stirring constantly until smooth
- workings quickly, pour chocolate mixture over rice mellow. with a sharp knife swirl chocolate and rice mellow together
- top with remaining almonds,shredded coconut & sea salt
- refrigerate at least 1 hour prior to serving. keep refrigerated.