in order for easter to be more meaningful- even though i am not catholic i decided to partake in lent. so i have made the decision to give up dessert- yes you read right, no dessert until april 24; at least i have something to look forward to.
needless to say i made these banana bites (inspired by (never)homemaker ) just a few days before giving up my beloved sweets. these are a bit healthier than your normal treat which is a bonus- i love the combination of sweet and salty from the cashews and coconut. this is the second time i have created these little morsels of goodness, this time i threw in honey & peanut butter. yes i am one of those vegans who still enjoy honey- honey which is locally harvested and the bees are cared for by wonderful farmers. if you wish to exclude the honey, go crazy with some agave nectar- just as good.
this recipe is so quick and easy- whats not to love about chocolate, peanut butter & banana?
slice your bananas into bite size rounds- amazingly frozen banana tastes like ice cream, come on close your eyes; i dare you- see i told you just like ice cream.
peanut butter banana bites with chocolate, coconut & cashews
you will need:
- 2 medium/large bananas (not overly ripe)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter - whatever you fancy
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons salted cashews- crushed leaving some larger pieces
- 1 cup chocolate
- prep a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- slice your banana into bite sized rounds
- over medium heat combine peanut butter and honey until smooth & loose- kinda like a street corner girl
- remove from heat and carefully coat the banana rounds in the peanut butter/honey mixture. this needs to be done quickly as the peanut butter looses its looseness quickly
- place peanut butter coated banana rounds on the cookie sheet, set aside
- in the same pan, over low/medium heat melt chocolate and cinnamon until melty
- remove from heat-dunk each banana round into chocolate ensuring you are covering all sides. i found a spoon to be a mighty helpful assistant during the peanut butter and chocolate coating stage
- once coated with chocolate place back on cookie sheet
- i opted to not cover all my banana rounds with chocolate- i kept some with just their peanut butter jackets on
- once all your rounds are covered, sprinkle with cashews pressing down a bit if chocolate has begun to set & coconut. with the peanut butter rounds sans chocolate, i rolled these guys in the coconut to coat.
- place in the freezer for a minimum of 15 minutes or until chocolate is hardened.
- once hardened the bites can be stored in an airtight container stored in the freezer
print this recipe!