what's not to love about the spud- quick, versatile, cheap ; toss them into soups, mashed with a little butter, slow cooked stews, frittatas you name it potatoes are like little chameleons able to transform right before your very eyes. the white potato has been given a bad rap by some; they claim the potato is lacking in the nutrient department. did you know that the white potato has 620mg of potassium- that is more than a banana and provides 45% of you daily value of vitamin c? so next to you go for a white, yellow or red tuber don't feel so guilty- go on and give your spuds a little love.
you will always find a bag of potatoes at our house, we like them mashed, baked and in stews. i came a across a new locally grown (from maine) potato, the carola- they are pretty tasty. we prefer to bake our own fries in the oven- so simple anyone could do it in the amount of time it takes to open a bag of fries and preheat the oven. and these potatoes do the job beautifully.
a little canola oil, salt and spice. i like to switch it up from southwestern fries to garlic fries- whatever you are in the mood for; go for it. live on the edge, season those fries in crazy different ways.
once you have them coated in all that seasoned goodness pop them in the oven at 450* and bake for about 20-25 minutes- i am still getting use to my convection oven; they definitely cooked up quicker on the convection setting, in about 18 minutes. make sure you turn the fries about half way through so they crisp up and are golden on both sides.
plate up and serve with your favorite burger!
serves 2, easily doubled
you will need:
- 2 medium potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 teaspoon canola oil (enough to coat the fries)
- 1 teaspoon salt, more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon of seasoning, i used garlic granules
lets get cooking:
- cut the potatoes into wedges or thick matchsticks
- toss with canola oil, salt & seasoning ; coating all pieces evenly
- place in 450* preheated oven and bake for 18-25 minutes turning once half way through baking to ensure golden goodness all the way around
- remove. let sit for a few minutes to cool