i like mushrooms...alot.
so much so that i didn't reaize i had bought 4 containers of the fungi over the weekend - one of which was a jumbo pack.
when life gives you mushrooms - roast em' with garlic & shallots, bathe them in sherry, and blend em' all together for a creamy, healthy tasty & inexpensive soup.
shallot & garlic- we are bff's; i put them in just about everything
before roasting drizzle some good olive oil and sprinkle with a flaky salt
my go to salt; kosher
while the caps are roasting sautee the shallots & garlic with the sliced baby bellas- a couple turns of sherry and you are good to go
i love soups that are incognito - this soup is creamy without actually using cream; better for you, the cows & your pants....but who doesn't love stretchy pants
creamy roasted mushroom soup
2 generous servings or 4 normal sized servings
you will need:
- 12oz whole button mushrooms
- 4oz sliced baby bellas
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- 2 medium / large shallots
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 jigger of sherry
- 3 cups good quality vegetable broth (i used homemade)
- 1 1/4 cups almond or soy milk
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- olive oil to drizzle on finshed soup
- pre-heat oven to 450*
- spread whole button mushrooms on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil & sprinkle with salt
- roast in oven for 20 minutes
- while the mushrooms are roasting slice the shallots & garlic
- sautee shallots in soup pot over medium heat- 2 minutes
- add sliced baby bellas- sautee until golden brown
- add garlic & sherry- cook until sherry is reduced to half
- add vegetable broth & turn heat to medium low
- simmer until large mushrooms are done roasting
- once the large mushrooms are done remove from oven and immediately add to soup
- remove soup pot from stove top. with an immersion blender puree- if you do not have an immmersion blender get one. just kidding. no really you should go and get one they are great. okay- if you need an alternative use a belnder working in small batches with the top vented to avoid an explosion and blend until smoothe. if you like chunky leave some chunks in.
- once blended return to stove top- add in the almond milk & white pepper
- warm soup thoroughly prior to serving- add a drizzle of olive oil if you would like once you have the soup plated.