meyer lemons, mineolas, tangelos, blood oranges popping up in the market is a sure sign that spring is on its way to new england. soon enough we will begin to see the first signs of spring in our own backyards; true story, as i am writing this it is the first day of spring and what do you know it just starting snowing- weather in new england is fickle, one day it will be a bright warm sunnyy 65* degree day everyone is excited you leave your coat at home, boots in the closet and the next day you have 5 inches of slushy snow on the ground and you are digging your boots out once again. mother nature is such a tease this time of year.
i was picking up a few things at the store and scored a bag of meyer lemons - i was so excited, okay maybe a little too excited about my unexpected find. what better way to invite spring in than to whip up a batch of citrusy scones. i had a blood orange rambling away in my fridge bin every time i opened the drawer- what can i say, they belonged together.
deep burgundy, pink in color the blood orange would be my best friend if i was an orange. the meyer lemon a bit sweet and tangy- yeah its pretty sassy. folded into a dough speckled with zest; beautiful.
this dough comes together pretty quickly- perfect for brunch or afternoon tea with your gram; okay i did just sound like i am 80 years old, but tea with your gram is pretty cool in my book
baked until golden brown- perfect drizzled with orange blossom honey and served with tea.
makes 8 generous scones
you will need:
- 1 cup AP white flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (sub in AP flour or whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- zest of 1 meyer lemon
- zest of 1 blood orange
- 1 or 2 meyer lemon segmented and seeded (i used one)
- 1 blood orange segmented
- 1/2 cup plain soy yogurt
- 1/2 cup almond milk plus a bit more for brushing
- demera sugar for dusting
- preheat the oven to 400*
- measure out flours and combine with sugar, baking powder & salt in a medium bowl. using 2 knives or a pastry cutter blend butter into flour until small pea size clumps form
- make a well in the center of the mix. add segmented oranges and lemons
- in a small bowl whisk yogurt and almond milk until smooth. dump into flour well
- mix flour and yogurt mixture with a soft hand until flour is moistened
- turn out onto a well floured surface
- knead dough by folding the sides into itself. like folding a letter
- on a parchment lined baking pan form dough into a round disc
- brush with almond milk and dust with demera sugar
- cut into wedges prior to baking
- bake for 20-25 minutes until center is baked through
best served warm. store in the fridge and reheat in a microwave for 15 seconds or warm up in a toaster oven.