i love reading and discussing what i read, i searched for a local book club to join but came up empty handed. so my solution was to create a book club, it has been fantastic! always great conversation, wine, food & friends- a bi-monthly get together that never disappoints. besides our shared love of reading we also are closet foodies and winos, ummm I mean connoisseurs of wine; our club is appropriately named "Reading between the Wines" - Kate is so clever!
for our last get together i was in charge of dessert; i was looking for something quick and easy and stumbled across fudge -topped chai bars from (never home) maker . a few adjustments to the original recipe and i was on my way to a sweet treat. everyone loved them, my mom who is not really a sweets person downed 2 during book club.
FUDGE-TOPPED COCOA CHAI BARS
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance or smart balance (i used smart balance)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour or spelt flour (i used spelt)
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (uncooked)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons Chai & Mighty(dry)
- 1 cup semi-sweet (or other) chocolate chips
- 1 to 2 tablespoons almond milk
- chopped pecans or other nuts (optional)
- 1/2 unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spritz an 8 x 8 inch pan with some canola oil and set aside.
- Cream together the Earth Balance, peanut butter, and brown sugar. Beat in the vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and chai & mighty mix. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined. Dough should be moistened, but somewhat crumbly.
- Press into the 8 x 8 inch pan until flat and even. Then bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until browned on the edges.
- Allow to cool. Then add the almond milk to the chocolate chips and microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes. Until melty.
- Spread chocolate over the bars and then sprinkle chopped pecans (or other nuts)& coconut on top. Let cool in the refrigerator.